Around 100 guests from the world of politics, business and administration celebrated the laboratory's 60th anniversary on July 3. Since 2 July 1958, the highly specialized DEA Laboratory Wietze is the scientific center of excellence for national and international projects of DEA Deutsche Erdoel AG.
During the celebration at the Büchtmannshof in Wietze-Wieckenberg, board member Dirk Warzecha honoured the success story of the laboratory. He emphasized the importance of the laboratory for successful drilling and production projects: "The DEA Laboratory is the centre of excellence for laboratory and consulting services, where our scientific know-how is bundled for our national and international activities. Production samples, drill cores and storage rock have been analysed and characterised here for six decades. Only with the help of these extensive investigations are targeted answers to chemical and geoscientific questions regarding the exploration and production of crude oil and natural gas, as well as plant optimization and compliance with environmental and health protection standards possible," Warzecha highlighted.
After the petroleum era began with the discovery of the Hunaeus drilling in Wietze in 1858, the company's drilling tools were used here, were constantly improved and established the good reputation of the Deutsche Tiefbohr-Aktiengesellschaft, which later became the DEA. Technological breakthroughs of this period included a device for measuring drilling progress, a rapid percussion drill and a hydraulic impact drill bit. More than 900 production wells were drilled around Wietze with these equipment until 1910.
In the following decades, there were several small individual laboratories in the Wietze area. In 1958, these were combined to form the so-called "Central Laboratory”. On July 3rd 1958, on the occasion of the inauguration, the Cellesche newspaper reported that the Central Laboratory of the Deutsche Erdöl Aktiengesellschaft, known in the Wietzan vernacular as the Crystal Palace, was beautifully placed in the landscape drawn by oil towers. With the exception of one tower on the area of the oil museum, the oil towers have disappeared. - The Wietze laboratory is still there, because, over the years, it has continuously adapted and modernised to technological requirements.
The mayor of Wietze, Wolfgang Klußmann, emphasized in his welcoming address that "the laboratory and also the drilling operations of the DEA continue to provide jobs for many people on site. I therefore hope very much that both DEA sites will remain in our community for many years - so that we can continue the good tradition, the close connection between the DEA and Wietze together".
The head of the DEA laboratory, Thies Dose, explained the development of the laboratory and gave an outlook on future tasks: "The Wietze laboratory has excellently trained staff and remarkable expertise. Combined with our efficient technical equipment and modern laboratory equipment, we are always prepared for national and international use".
For further information
Head of External Communication
T +49 40 – 6375-2877
M +49 162 – 273-2877