DEA has been operating in Denmark since the 1980s. Years of exploratory effort were finally rewarded by the Nini-1 and Cecilie-1 offshore oil discoveries in the year 2000. In May 2002 government approval was received for the two fields to begin production. DEA holds a participating interest of 42.86 per cent in the Nini field (4/95) (INEOS Oil & Gas Denmark is operator with the remaining 57.14 per cent) and another of 43.59 per cent in Cecilie (16/98) (INEOS Oil & Gas Denmark is operator with 56.41 per cent). In 2016, DEA was awarded two licences as operator with a share of 50 per cent each in Denmark.

DEA Licences Denmark

DEA becomes operator in Denmark for the first time

As part of the 7th licensing round, the Danish Energy Agency has awarded DEA Deutsche Erdoel AG the two licences 8/16 and 9/16 in Denmark at the beginning of April 2016. The concession area of about 530 square kilometres is located in the southern Central Graben in the western part of the Danish North Sea. Hence, DEA has become operator in Denmark for the first time. Other partners in this project are the Dutch exploration and production company Dyas and the Danish state-owned company Nordsøfonden.

Unmanned wellhead platforms for efficient development

The Nini and Cecilie fields were developed by drilling several production wells (including horizontal wells). Production commenced in the autumn of 2003. In the year 2007 the Nini 5 well in the eastern part of the Nini license struck oil.

To allow these reserves to be developed efficiently, so-called unmanned wellhead platforms were installed at the discovery sites. The untreated crude oil produced by these wellheads is piped to the neighbouring Siri platform, where it is treated and stored.

Production from the Danish oil fields Nini and Cecilie

Three pipelines to the Siri platform were installed from each of the Nini and Cecilie platforms:

  1. The oil mix is taken to the central Siri facilities via the multi-phase pipelines.
  2. Separated and dehydrated gas is piped back from the Siri platform to the satellite platforms through the lift gas pipelines and injected into the production wells to “lift” the crude from the production well.
  3. Injection water pipelines take the separated water from the Siri platform back to the production sites where it is also re-injected into the oil reservoirs at a depth of approx. 2,300 metres in order to maintain the pressure inside the Nini and Cecilie reservoirs, in line with the principle: the higher the reservoir pressure, the more efficient the production.